miércoles, 6 de agosto de 2014

SAMR & TPACK


I bet that after reading the title of this entry you are wondering what SAMR & TPACK are. I was, too when our teacher presented them to us. The simple answer is: SAMR & TPACK are two ways of looking and integrating technology into our classroom.
Technology, yay! I love technology. As I said in one of my previous posts, I am a digital native. I am constantly carrying my phone, (checking facebook, twitter, instagram and more) and I cannot live without my computer. But something important to take into account is that my students will also be digital natives like me and I have to know how to catch their attention and integrate technology in the classroom.  


SAMR:

The SAMR Model,describes technology integration through four levels:

  1. Substitution: Technology is used as a direct substitute for what you might do already, with no functional change.
  2. Augmentation: Technology is a direct substitute, but there is functional improvement over what you did without the technology.
  3. Modification: Technology allows you to significantly redesign the task.
  4. Redefinition: Technology allows you to do what was previously not possible.

Source: Models for Understanding Technology Integration.

This means that our tasks will not be always the same and will have different outcomes.
Here's a Prezi presentation with examples of the SAMR model in the classroom.


TPACK:

TPACK stands for Technological, Pedagogical, and Content Knowledge, and the interaction between these three concepts as they relate to teaching in a technology enhanced learning environment. It looks at the collaboration between technology, pedagogy, and content and argues that teachers need knowledge of all three.

At the heart of the TPACK framework, is the complex interplay of three primary forms of knowledge: Content (CK), Pedagogy (PK), and Technology (TK). 

The TPACK approach does not see them in isolation. TPACK also emphasizes the new kinds of knowledge that exist in the intersections of these three: four more knowledge bases to teach with technology: 
  • Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK), 
  • Technological Content Knowledge (TCK), 
  • Technological Pedagogical Knowledge (TPK), 
  • and the intersection of all three circles, Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK).

Source: What is TPACK? 

I think both of these ways of looking at technology integrated in our classroom are very important and useful. Nevertheless, I think it's not necessary to look at them as separate ways of integrating technology. Maybe it would be useful to take into account both of them and even though teaching with technology is important, we have to bare in mind that teaching is the essential and technology should act as a tool to enhance learning.
If you want to know more about SAMR & TPACK, take a look at this prezi

2 comentarios:

  1. Hi Agustina! I have to confess that I also found it difficult to understand SAMR and TPACK, but then I realized how important the two models are. I think both of them are crucial if we want to introduce technology in our classrooms and I agree with you when you say we must bear in mind BOTH models when introducing tech in our classroom. See you!

    ResponderBorrar
  2. Hi, Anto. Thanks for your comment. I think that sometimes new things are difficult to understand and even more if we have to apply them first to understand them better. But at the same time, it is good to have models and guidelines to work on when using technology in the classroom.
    Thanks for your comment!

    ResponderBorrar